Friday, March 31, 2006

Diet and exercise

Have you ever gotten suddenly, inexplicably obsessed with your health? I don't know what the heck is going on in the back of my mind lately, but I am rather focused on my current condition. I have a lot of reasons for it that I can think of, such as that I graduate in 6 months and I want to get back into good enough condition to leave my last class and head straight for the mountains. But I think there are also subconcious reasons for it. Am I getting old? Probably. I think I don't look older - I still get carded (HA!) at 36, and I definitely feel far less stressed out than I did 10 years ago so I don't feel older. I certainly haven't matured... Oh, maybe I have a little. I keep the house clean, I have a nice yard, I wash my car when it needs it, and I don't eat graham crackers with a can of sour-cream fudge frosting for dinner anymore. But I do exercise, and I eat healthier food now than I ever have, and I feel really good. It is amazing what a difference a good diet can make in how you wake up in the morning, how you get out of the house, how you work, how you sleep. I kinda like it. Maybe I'll stick with this health thing for a while.

However, it stresses me out.

Did I just totally contradict everything I just said?

But here's why. I have to go to the warehouse for inventory tonight. They always order pizzas. Don't know if you realize this, but pizza isn't exactly on my diet, you know? But I love pizza. LOVE it. L. O. V. E. It is one of my favorite things.

And then there's the people I take the train home with in the afternoon. They keep asking me out for beers with them. I don't really want to drink right now - maybe after I get to the point at which I feel I can risk wrecking my diet breifly - so I give lame-assed excuses like that I have homework to do (which is always true anyway) or that I have other stuff going on, which as we know is a bald-faced lie. I don't want to admit that it is because I don't want the extra carbs/calories of beer right now.

And here's the big one. I have a four day business trip for software training coming up at the end of April. I don't know how I'm going to stick to eating healthy when I have to eat what they feed me. I'll be staying with my parents instead of at a hotel, so dinner and breakfast will be easy-ish, but I have to eat every three hours (gotta have those healthy snacks, you know?). Whatever I eat for lunch and eating in class are going to be issues. And when the hell will I get to exercise? It is a month away, and I'm already concerned. Argh. I don't wanna be concerned! I wanna be impetuous and carefree and mindless and vapid!

Oh, to be young and foolish with a raging metabolism again...

No comments: