Monday, July 11, 2005

I thought it was just me!

I constantly find myself behind drivers who are startled and baffled by virtually everything they encounter, as though they've never been outdoors before. They'll see, for example, a tree, and immediately they hit their brakes, as if they expect the tree to leap into the middle of the road. They also brake for mailboxes, buildings and their own rearview mirrors. But above all, they brake for the most disturbing and mysterious of all earthly phenomena, a green traffic light, which causes them to come to a virtual standstill, paralyzed, until the light turns yellow and then red, at which point they accelerate to 275 mph and shoot through the intersection, leaving me stuck at the light, shouting until spittle covers the dashboard.
-- from “Winning the big butt games” by Dave Barry (Column was originally published on Aug. 28, 1994)

No comments: