Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I need a day off.

I really, really need a day off. I mean a real day off, not just a day where I don't have to go to work. I need a day to slump on the couch with a remote control and a day's worth of non-perishable food and drink strewn about me and the cat perched on my lap. I don't want any deliverables. I don't want to work. I don't want to do homework. I don't want to do housework. I don't want to do yard work. I don't want to fill up the car with gas, or go grocery shopping, or go to the post office, or drop stuff off or pick stuff up, or abandon my jammies for real clothes or work out or anything. I want to veg out completely. And take a nap. Maybe watch some DVDs. Or play video games. Or read for pleasure. Ah, the good old days. I remember leisure time. I wonder how PS2, XBox, and Gameboy are doing these days. We haven't hung out in a while...

I'm very busy. I know this does not make me unique. I know there are people worse off than me. I expect no sympathy. I'm just saying, I'm very busy. Every day is a mad rush to get everything done. I go to work, I go home, I eat, I work out, I do homework, I do housework, and then I go to bed. I don't even really get to wind down before going to bed. At home, I sit down only to eat and do homework. (I just finished.) Once I leave work every day, I have no downtime whatsoever. It kinda sucks. I rebel by doing this instead of doing something important.

However! I have a day off coming up! Well, sorta. I have a day in which I do not have to get up or take the train or go to work or do homework. I am taking the 29th off. Woo! Yay me! I'm going to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast, watch TV, do a little reading, go to the dentist and have an old filling removed and replaced, and maybe mow my lawn if it isn't raining. That's as close as I get to a "real" day off, apparently. That will all change after I graduate, when I get to have real days off again. It'll be great. I'll dream of the day.

Oddly, all of this has had an interesting effect on me. I'm far more disciplined than I used to be. I'm actually doing the daily workouts, the daily chores, not waiting until the last minute to study and get my assignments done, eating healthy food, not blowing my money. I guess hardship really does build character. Curses! My parents were right again!

No comments: