Friday, March 17, 2006

Work: Can't live with it, can't pay the mortgage without it.

There are many things in life that never cease to amaze me.
  • People who complain that they are fat and out of shape but eat three 1,200-calorie meals every day and won't exercise.
  • People who complain that they are broke but spend $10 or $15 on lunch every day.
  • People who complain that their department doesn't perform as a team but won't cross-train so that they can perform as a team.
  • People who brag about what a great attitude they have but who demand rewards for doing what they are paid to do and who heave great sighs and roll their eyes heavenward with each new piece of paper or task handed to them.
  • People who complain about how much work they have to do but can't get it done, and yet they have time to complain about it to everyone who will listen, all day long.
  • People who complain about the noise level in the office by talking it over with the person over the 6-foot cubicle wall from them.
I see many examples of hypocrisy around me, daily, in my office. Mind you, I'm not exempt, but generally I know when I'm being ridiculous and hypocritical and acknowledge that I am just venting, while others don't seem to realize that the term can apply to them. I often wonder what it is like to live in that kind of a bubble. It must be nice to be so lacking in self-awareness.

But anyway...

One of the three people that they hired to do a portion of my job came on in January and then she was out sick for three weeks. She just got back on Monday. I had to do several of the company's monthly state sales tax returns to be sure we didn't end up paying penalties and interest on sales tax payments. I didn't want to do them because I've always felt a bit insecure about them, unsure that I was doing them correctly and feeling like I was just winging it. I finished them yesterday, and the tax director came to me and told me that they were excellent and he wished that I was still doing them. I found this to be quite an ego boost. The person who took these over from me is a CPA. That also gives me a bit of confidence with regards to taking the CPA exam. I'm still not fully convinced that I need to go through that, since I intend to stick with corporate accounting, and I doubt that I would be willing to continually undergo the training and testing to maintain a license, but I'm happy that people are happy with the work that I do. It is a comfort. Oddly, he also told me that if I decide to quit working here, I can use him as a reference. Why would you indirectly encourage someone to leave if they are good at their jobs? Hmmm...

On a more cheerful note, Kittenwars!

No comments: