Monday, May 08, 2006

Careful what you ask for...

It never ceases to amaze me how things work out unintentionally. It also never ceases to amaze me how they don't work out, but that's another topic entirely.

Work kinda drives me a little crazy. I'm not a people person. I don't like being surrounded all day long with people who want to chat about things that I really don't care about, and I'm not good at hiding it. There are some people who irritate me endlessly, so I work with them as well as I can and try to ignore their garbage and move on. On the other hand, if I irritate someone, they go crying to my boss. If I went crying to my boss every time one of them wrecked my day with their crap, none of us would ever get anything done. (That's what blogs are for, anyway.) I don't understand why I am expected to change who I am to make them happy, but they won't do the same for me, and I'm a shade resentful about it.

For example, my latest replacement threatened to quit. She blamed me. She has talked to me about one thing in the last month, and it was a month ago, so it seems like scapegoating to me. Our boss talked her out of it, but they expect me to baby her through yet another month-end close to keep her happy. Read these instructions and see if they make sense: copy this, paste it here; copy that, paste it there; change that month to this month; save the file. Clear, correct? I doubt it can be easier. Yet, I have to stand over her and pat her on the head and encourage her. I think that is a bit ludicrous. She has 15 years of age and experience on me, so why can't she act like a competent adult?

Additionally, she has been going on and on about how miserable her work conditions are. She has a window office and half the workload that I had in that position when I had no window office, yet she feels overworked and that it is unfair that I only work 9 hours a day when she has to work 11 hours. When I was in that position, I worked four 10-hour days, and I had twice the work. Do I sound sympathetic to her plight? No. Why? Because I am not.

Her complaining finally paid off for me in some respect. They are taking the two accounts payable people out of the big window office and putting them in cubes, and they are moving me into the big window office with our other staff accountant. The funny thing is that this arrangement will not solve her complaints. She goes on about how people come in to talk to the other AP person and it is too distracting. When she moves back into the cube farm, she will be able to hear about a dozen or more people talking all day long, not to mention that a few of them are unbelievably loud and like to shout at each other over the cube walls. There are people walking past all day long, so rather than seeing only the people who come into the office, she will see everyone. She complains about how bright and hot it is in there, but it is cold and dark in the cube farm. I doubt that anything will ever make her happy, but if I get a window office out of t he deal, I am happy.

No comments: