Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Junk food versus working out

I found a benefit to "Take your child to work day"! They bought a ton of snacks for the kiddies that the kiddies did not eat. I've been bingeing on the new Pepperidge Farm goldfish crackers in bright, candy-like colors! They came in a case of individual serving sizes, little milk cartons full of crackers. I've been hoarding them. Every time I walk into the kitchen I grab one or two of them and stash them in my desk for snacking emergencies. I also copped a pen with a head on a spring and troll doll hair. I don't know why I felt compelled to take that, but hey, free pens are always a good thing in the office.

I decided before my trip to Oregon that my weight training routine had gotten too easy. I took the week off from working out, and when I started up again I started with 5 pound weights instead of 3 pound weights. I can still get all the way through the workout even after nearly doubling the weights, but boy, do my arms shake by the end. Not to mention that I'm pretty stiff from it. That will go away in another day or two. I am committed (nay, obsessed!) to getting back in the shape I was in a few years ago, so I'm going to keep it up until I have to add another pound or two of weights. I don't want to get all bulky though. I'm nearly 6 feet tall in my shoes, so the last thing I need is to start looking like a bodybuilder, which on me translates to looking like a guy who doesn't know how to feminize himself when he's in drag. Sure, I have long hair and such, but I also have broader shoulders than most women because of the Norwegian side of the family, and it can translate as masculine to the less observant among us. I really don't need that kind of mystique surrounding me.

No comments: