Monday, July 03, 2006

A little jaunt into the wilderness


Yesterday I hiked the 11-mile round trip to Navajo Pass, at about 6000 feet. If you like up-close and personal looks at the likes of Mt. Stewart (at left), you should to this hike. If you like a raging river, open landscape, gnarly trees, wildflowers, hot hot heat, and a distinct lack of biting bugs, you should do this hike. Campsites? Check. Breeze? Check. Deer? Check. Plenty of water? Check. Stunning vistas? Check. Crowds? Unfortunately, check. There were 7 tents at the pass, and I counted 9 people on the way in and two on the way out. I suppose that isn't technically crowded... Anyway, nice hike, only 3000 feet of elevation gain over 5 1/2 miles. The trail is in good shape in spite of horse use. It is very pretty and very different than Western Washington hikes - it is litteraly barren in spots, particulary just below the pass on the South slope. It looks like the moon. I'll write a more detailed "trip report" later if I feel like it, but I have homework to get to.

No comments: