Friday, July 14, 2006

Yet another media frenzy

Two hikers, women, were found murdered on the trail to Pinnacle Lake this week. Everyone who knows me knows that I hike alone, so they are all freaking out. I'm not freaking out. Millions of people hike the trails here. Literally millions. Of them, three have been murdered. I have a better chance of winning the lottery, being struck by lightning, or getting attacked by a bear or mountain lion.
 
So this weekend, I'm going hiking. Alone. Miles and miles in the wilderness, on a trail that I am hoping is painfully unpopulated. And as always, I will be aware of every person I see and every noise I hear, but I'm not going to let it stop me.
 
I do so hope that they catch whoever killed these women. Their friends and family have been posting a multitude of messages at NWHikers.net and they sound like wonderful people. We have so few people who inspire so many, and it is such a shame to lose them. I don't hope that they catch the killer as much for my own safety and the safety as others as for the memory of two people who have positively touched so many.

No comments: