Thursday, July 13, 2006

"Do you guys wanna see a dead body?"

The commute was less than uneventful today. It was far too eventful.

I pulled into the parking garage and noticed two cops sitting across the street. I thought that was a little odd. Then I noticed that the garage was nearly empty. I thought that was a little odd, too. I saw people standing on the platform with the guards, so I figured it was just one of  those days when people were taking a later train or just not going to work. I heard a train whistle right about the time I was going to get out of my car, and decided that it would be prudent to take the skybridge to the platform instead of trying to cross the tracks, because I didn't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the tracks if it was a big freight train coming. As I walked to the skybridge, I saw a freight train parked on the tracks below. I thought that was a little odd as well. After reaching the platform, I found out what happened.

Yet another train hit and killed yet another pedestrian in Kent.

The big freight train that was sitting on the tracks was the train that hit the person. The person was crossing the tracks where there was no actual crossing, just South of Highway 18, and somehow missed the gigantic train with the blaring 110-decible horn and the blinding Cyclopean headlight bearing down on them at 30-50 miles per hour on the flat straight-away through Kent. (My tone may indicate to you that I think this person was a moron. You would be right to infer that.)

The freight train, naturally, had to stop. The freight train was so long that it was blocking at least two streets that cross the tracks, so I'm sure Kent traffic is something of a nightmare this morning.

The body, unfortunately, was under the train when it finally managed to stop 1/2 mile later. It was a very long train. They unlinked the cars near the body and pulled the engine forward so that they could get at the body, which was covered with a white sheet or blanket when we passed. Naturally, the Sounder train audience ooh-ed and ahh-ed when they saw it. Morning commuters love a drama.

Welcome to Thursday.

No comments: