Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sickness and death

Tis the season for flu shots. I never used to get the flu, and I never used to get flu shots. But for the last two years I have come down with near-fatal cases of it five days before Christmas and in neither instance did it go away until more than a week after New Year's Day. Then I had laryngitis for a week or two each time.
So this year, I decided to have a flu shot in hopes of visiting my parents over the holidays without a box of tissues in hand and constant mucus running out of my nose and mouth. My company offers them for free, so I took advantage. Me, a big old needle-fearing freak. And it didn't hurt a bit. My shoulder feels a little warm, but I'm guessing that is fine. I don't think I'm going to pass out any time soon. That was the big news of today.

The big news of tomorrow is that I'm going out with friends to see dead bodies. After work we're going to head to "Bodies... The Exhibition." One of my friends (my ex-officemate) has a strange fascination with death, and the other one used to be an undertaker. My ex-officemate is bringing her significant other, my other friend is bringing a friend, and I have two other friends who may join us there, so we may have quite a crowd when we go to dinner after the exhibit. I haven't been out with a crowd that size in a while. It should be quite a treat. I'm wondering how the exhibit will affect my dreams. Here's hoping it doesn't.

No comments: