Thursday, November 09, 2006

You can't quit the gym!

First, apoligies. Yes, the title of this post is a reference to an episode of "Friends." Now, onward.

I joined a gym. I had a choice of two; the one near home and the one near work. The one near home is $12 a month. The one near work is $35. I knew that if I chose the one near home, I would bag out as I drove past it each day on the way home. It is also smaller and very crowded and doesn't have the incredible range of ways I can hurt myself that the one near work has, including classes (yoga and BOSU leap to mind) and a sauna. All of this lead me to choose the more expensive gym.

"Why did you join a gym?" Well, I have only two real hobbies - hiking and video games - and you have to be in top physical condition for both. I'm getting older (not that I'm counting the days until I'm 40 or anything) and the last two years of school and strange eating habits have taken their toll from health and aesthetic perspectives. I'm not going to magically get back into condition, so I decided on professional help. The gym that I joined provides quite a lot of one-on-one training as a part of membership, and I am going to take advantage of it. I figure that if I can get in there three times a week, I'll get my money's worth.

Still, I wonder how long I'll last. It is a bit inconvinient. I either have to leave work at 4:30 so that I can work out and still make the last train, or I have to go during lunch and then shower and fix my hair and makeup before I can go back to work. I imagine that I'll do the first option - I hate doing my hair and doing it once a day is more than enough. I would rather ride the train with messed up hair and no makeup than do my hair twice. I do not have hair that I can just brush and go, unfortunately. It is extraordinarily high maintenance. I should shave it off and get a wig.

How was that for a digression?

No comments: