Thursday, June 30, 2005

Fourth of July weekend

So, I'm thinking that the weather is going to be a suckfest this weekend, but I'm doing the hike anyway. I want to exhaust myself hiking in the rain up a valley on a trail traversing a towering ridgeline to a tiny campsite next to a gemlike glacier-fed alpine lake in a rocky cirque populated with large predatory animals that I will fend off for three days and two nights with my trekking poles while surviving on little plastic bottles of vodka and Johnny Walker Black and dehydrated beef stroganoff (mmmm... beefy...) and lasagne with no iPod or email or homework or (hopefully) other people. There's nothing like waking up with a bear breathing on your tent to make you feel alive. I'm sick of homework, I'm sick of studying, I'm sick of sitting around getting fat. And no, I don't mean "phat." I mean eating-two-TV-dinners-in-a-row-and-then-a-box-of-Haagen-Daaz-bars kind of fat. I haven't hiked regularly for 9 months, and at my (ahem) advanced age, you can't eat like that if all you do is sit at a computer every waking moment. Last summer, all I did was work and hike, so I could handle eating a 1,500-calorie sandwich for lunch, followed by a box of Girl Scout cookies (the Samoas, of course) and a two-liter bottle of Jolt, but things are not like they were 9 months ago. God, I cannot wait to graduate... I want my life back! I want free time! I want to be able to sleep enough every night! I want to do what I want to do!

Not to mention that I want out of this crap job. But I'm working on that.

I get to go hiking! I get to go hiking! I get to go hiking! Though I know the weather may not be ideal, or even pleasant for that matter, I get giggly and twirly just thinking about it. I'm currently doing an internal happy dance, evidenced only by the inane grin and slightly psychotic glint in my eyes. If a stranger saw me right now, they would be frightened and unnerved in some undefinable way.

No comments: