Thursday, June 30, 2005

I love dogs...

But I truly love John Cusack. And he has a new movie coming out!

Seriously, though, I actually bought a house specifically because I wanted a dog and you can't have a dog in an apartment. Well, not a dog worth having, anyway... Those stupid little yappy rat-dogs that my cat could kill don't count. I bought my house the moment 9/11 happened (war profiteering, anyone?) and yet, no dog. After I graduate, go to England, and get a Jeep, I'll get a dog. Does that sound fair? Actually, I may have to wait until the cat... uh, she may be reading this, so hold that thought.

You know. Cats and dogs. Oil and water. Christians and anyone else. Vinagre and chocolate. Me and "children." Some things just don't mix.

On the other hand, I may have bought a house because I SO HATED living in apartments. My last apartment caused me so much stress (gang members for neighbors, daylight armed break-ins in the neighboring buildings, drug dealers for neighbors, police calling me to find out if anything was worth investigating [I knew many of the Renton cops on a first-name basis], rats, giant hairy spiders) that I actually bought out my lease to leave it. And it isn't as though I could afford to pay a few month's rent to get out! I actually medically needed to leave. It is not a good situation when you cannot sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time because of the noise level and you start having heart palpitations from stress.

Whatever.

The point is that I own a fully-fenced quarter acre and no dog. What the hell?!

But back to John Cusack. I have had some kind of a fixation on him since the early '80s. So naturally, I'm gonna see this new movie. It is called Must Love Dogs, in case you didn't bother to click on that link up there.

Holy crap, my fixation on this guy that I will never meet and who wouldn't know I existed even if I did actually meet him is probably the closest thing to a non-self-destructive relationship that I have ever had. How sad is that?

And speaking of police... My boss's boss (who I used to have a problem with, but now that I see that my boss's assessment of her boss is totally ridiculous and I'm not speaking to her anymore because she is a liar and a backstabber) has talked to all of her friends about me and her ex-husband's best friend, and after her friends and her sister all met me they all agree that I should meet him and we would be like the bestest couple ever... wait a minute, I just lost my train of thought.

More concisely: Michelle and all of her friends think that Darrin and I should meet. He's on the local police force. They keep trying to introduce us, and it keeps not happening. I don't know what to think of the whole situation. I was at a dinner party recently in which the whole group that knew him was harassing him over speaker-phone for not showing up, and based solely on that I would say that he and I would hit it off. He was funny and intelligent and dealt well with harassment. (Those are requirements.) I've also seen pictures, and they were... appealing.

However.

I'm emotionally rather, uh, well, hmmmmm... distant. And I kinda like it that way. The more distant, the better. The more distant, the less chance of being screwed over. Safety net, you know? How awkward would it be to get screwed over by your boss's boss's ex-husband's best friend? That's just a Jerry Springer episode waiting to happen.

Hey, speaking of which, Max and Michelle just got married earlier this month! (Michelle is not my boss's boss. In case you didn't pick up on that.)

Oh, and Darrin owns a Harley. It would never work.

So, I'm thinking Siberian Husky mix. I need a non-human hiking partner, and I figure a dog that can be outside all day long in the cold and snow is probably ideal. The moment I graduate, I'll start looking into it. I also have to finish rebuilding my fence. Whole 'nother story there. Maybe some other day.

No comments: