Friday, July 01, 2005

They were here first.

There are those people who don't like bears. I have a lot of words to describe those people, and none of them are very nice. I particularly don't like the idea that they believe bears are a nuisance to be removed from the population. The fact is that we are infringing on their territory more every year. They have nowhere to go, and their food sources are waning. They don't like us because we know that we will hurt them if given the opportunity, but they still show up where they are not welcome. For instance, in mid-June there was a black bear captured near a local elementary school using 20 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts as bait. It is all fine and good that they feel they must protect the children (spare me that rationale, please - we could stand to lose a few), but poisoning this poor animal with refined white sugar and flour in order to capture it and relocate it seems more of a publicity stunt than anything.

Do not believe for a second that I am not willing to poison myself with refined white sugar and flour. Oh, yes, I will do that in a heartbeat. I do it every time I have the option. I would fall into a trap set with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Fatty fatty fat fat!

However, you just don't do that to the animals. That's just cruel. How's that bear going to get doughnuts where they relocate her? What's she going to do to satisfy her carb cravings, eat fruit? Can you imagine?

And to those rich people who build their houses up in the mountains and then complain about the bears getting in their hot tubs and clogging the filters with their hair, I have only this to say. "Dude, you bought a house in the wilderness. You can afford a locking hot tub cover. Get over it."

No comments: