Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Slow day...

I'm having a really slow day at work, which is why I'm killing time doing this. This is a really bad thing, because I'm in accounting and I have deadlines. The end of the month is approaching - June ends, for me, on July 5th - and I have to have everything into the system by then. However, nothing came in the mail today! Which means it will all be here tomorrow, Friday, or god forbid on Tuesday, when I have to really cram everything in. I have limited workday hours because of public transportation and school demands. If I can't get everything done, my supervisor is supposed to do it. I say "supposed to" because I have a feeling she'll suddenly have a sick day or some crisis and be unable to do anything. She's usually ill on the day following a long weekend holiday. If there's no holiday, she's just sick on Monday.

When you have a personal crisis every day, are they really crises anymore?

Here's the work situation. I've been in this job for almost 5 years. So has my supervisor. She still has not gained proficiency at her job, and it frustrates the living crap out of me. Even worse, I'm not good at hiding it. It turns out that there's an opening in another department, and I want it. I'm "interviewing" today. Wish me luck. Even worse, I have to convince her that she needs to learn my processes so that if I leave this position, she can keep the department going while my replacement gets up to speed. Instead of learning, say, how to do the wire transfers, she has decided that the process is too cumbersome and wants to change the process. It is not, in fact, cumbersome - if you understand it. She wants to shorten the process down so much that we won't be able to pay our vendors correctly or track wires in the system after we post them. In other words, she wants to do the absolute minimum and ignore things like audit trail and reporting requirements. She can do it after I quit, but while it is my process I'm going to do it correctly.

Hey, more mail came in! Gotta go.

No comments: