Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Accountability: Look it up!

I got to spend three and a half hours yesterday in a meeting reviewing the capabilities of a new software that I will never, ever use. I was there solely because I used to use the old version of the software, and my replacement in that position is not learning the job or showing any interest in learning more or upgrading the software.

As I learn more about this particular co-worker, I have less appreciation for her. I have to teach her certain aspects of the job, and the converstations usually follow the same pattern.
Me: "To find this information, you have to look it up in the customer
listing in SmartList."
Her: No response. No acknowledgement, no nod, no eye
contact, no breathing.
Me: "Do you know how to look up the customer listing
in SmartList?"
Her: "No."
Me: Pause for five beats, then, "Would you like
me to show you how to do it?"

She will not say that she doesn't understand something, she will not ask questions. She doesn't want to learn anything new, she resists change automatically. She is crippling herself with her attitude. They pulled me into the meeting (while I'm working on quarter-end inventory accounting reports that the freakin' SEC is waiting on) to guide the software vendors regarding her upcoming software implementation because she won't step up and deal with it. She has a very "I don't know how to do this so I don't want to do it" way about her. For what they're paying her, she should be able to be involved in the implementation of her software. As much as she whines about how the current version doesn't work (which is odd, because it always worked fine for me), she should at least be able to describe what she'd like to see work differently in the new system, but she had nothing to say.

If you haven't worked it out yet, I am NOT the hand-holding type.

No comments: