Sunday, April 09, 2006

Save early and save often!

Yesterday turned out to be another fantastic waste of what little non-office-bound time I have these days. It started out with school, which was the high point of the day. I left there to go to REI in Tukwila to buy a new battery for my altimeter, but they didn't have what I needed. I went next door into Bed, Bath & Beyond to see if they carry teapots, and they don't. I went across the street to Target and they didn't have teapots either. So I gave up on the teapot idea and went to Best Buy to pick up a couple of new CDs (Pink and Depeche Mode) with my gift cards that I've been hauling around for months.

Did I fail to mention that I left home without an umbrella and it was pouring down rain?

I got home and ate lunch, then started on my homework, which was due by midnight yesterday. Right after I started it, I heard a noise outside. I think I also saw a flash, but maybe not. Anyway, it sounded like a car accident. Then the power flashed off and on a few times, and I lost all of my work because I hadn't saved it.

After about 10 minutes (rebooting the computer, getting a snack and a glass of water), I started on my homework again. Half an hour later the power went out again.

And I hadn't saved anything. Again.

And the power did not come back on. That was at about 3:30.

Needless to say, there was a lot of mumbling and stomping around going on after that. I ended up doing all of my homework on paper, then calling my professor to tell him that the power was out and had been out for hours, and I didn't know that I would be able to submit it on time. Luckily, he said I could just submit it this morning instead for full credit.

I don't know what time the power came back on, but it was after I went to bed.

Lessons learned?
  1. Save every time you finish a line of data entry or the answer to a question.
  2. Do homework before the deadline day instead of waiting until the last minute.
  3. The Consolidation Entry *G is for the subsequent year of acquisition, not for the current year.

No comments: