Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Vindication n ... 2: the justification for some act or belief

Back about a thousand years ago - early July 2005 - the person who occupied my current post at work served up her two weeks' notice. My current boss suggested to the controller that they offer me the position. He rejected it out of hand. He later rethought his position, and here I am. There were doubts about whether I could handle the job and whether they should allow me to leave my previous position in light of the fact that the department would (and did, I might add) fall apart without me there because of the total incompetence of the other half of the personnel over there.

I've now been in the position for 9 months, and I believe that I have more than proven myself. Not only am I doing the work correctly and in some cases better than my predecessors, I have caught the mistakes that others were making - often the same mistakes over and over by different people over the years - and I have taken on more work and done it without the difficulties they professed to have suffered.

That's cuz I'm smart. :)

Ironically, I still can't make my quarter-end deadlines, but it is because marketing and supply chain consistently miss their deadlines to provide information to me that I need to reach my deadlines. That's corporate life for you. They don't need to give me the information, therefore it is my problem if they don't get it to me on time and in turn it isn't their priority. Luckily, upper management doesn't blame me, the person at the bottom of the food chain. When the controller starts in on them, it will become their problem.

My year in this position is almost up. If I get past August, I will be the longest-running employee in this position in 6 years. Most other employees lasted less than a year. I don't know why, exactly, other than that we have to rely on unreliable people at quarter-end to get our information. The tasks that they complained so loudly about are actually my favorite things to do. We have these massive spreadsheets for the inventory reserve analysis and the quarterly inventory report, not to mention the cutoff documentation. It is all like a big puzzle. What can I say, I'm a geek who likes to play with spreadsheets. It has paid off for me so far. Let's see how much more it pays off after I get my degree and the merit raises go out at year end.

No comments: