Sunday, July 25, 2010

The So-Called Vacation So Far

I was supposed to be gone right now, but as usual things didn't work out as planned.

I left work Friday and went hiking. I found a nice campsite by Hyas Lake. So far, so good. Duncan ran like a crazy dog in the shallow water, barking at a rock that was sticking up out of the water. (It may have been an alligator. He just wanted to be sure.) We went to bed. Duncan kept seeing or hearing or imagining monsters in the woods, leaping up and growling at the trees while pushing me away from the tent flap (to protect me?). I went to sleep eventually. I woke up sweating in a 49 degree tent. Not good. I don't sweat noticably unless I'm exerting myself or it is over 80 degrees. I was nauseated and had a terrible headache.

On Friday I had a brief chat with the couple staying at the Fish Lake campground guard shack. They said that the trail to Marmot Lake was partially gone because of an avalanche. The idea of crossing avalanche debris with a crazy dog on a leash and a 45 pound pack on a very steep slope with no room for error while feeling less than reasonable didn't appeal to me at all, so I made an executive decision and decided to go home.

I still feel a little queasy, but otherwise I seem fine. I'm heading back to the area today. I have a campsite booked. I'm going to camp at the campground tonight and have a campfire and smores and Buffalo Trail Bourbon read a book in a hammock or listen to my iPod or play a Zelda game on my DS. Duncan's going to play in the river and roll in the dirt and eat a rawhide bone and threaten the squirrels. We're going to find a geocache or two. I'm going to continue feeding the bugs with the remainder of my blood. I'll probably renew my sunburn. It'll be like heaven, except for the itching.

Tomorrow we're doing the Deep Lake hike, which is a 14.5 mile hike. I've done it before, but somehow I thought it was only about 10 miles. I was in better shape back then, I think. Depending on how I feel when we get to the lake, we may continue on up to Lake Vicente. I have all day, so I'm not terribly worried about time. After the hike, we're staying at the campground again, so I don't have to worry about driving home after doing that to myself. Another campfire, more smores, more Bourbon, maybe some Cheezy Poofs. Like heaven again, but with even more itching and possibly even more scratched-open bug bites.

When I go backpacking, I take as little as I think I can get away with. For car camping, my only limit is car space. I'm taking TWO chairs, as if I need two chairs! Actually, one of them is a chaise that I can sleep on. Camping without sleeping on the ground! Who knew it could be done! I have a giant tarp to put down as a floor to keep from tracking dirt into the tent. I'm taking a bed for Duncan. I've got my hammock, just in case. A pillow, for gods' sake! I get a pillow! I've got a case of water, a full bottle of Bourbon, two bundles of firewood, and a couple of changes of clothes. Extra food, snacks, a book. I wouldn't have taken any of this on a backpacking trip. I may do this more often - car camping with day hikes more and backpacking less.

My trunk is packed solid and I still might be forgetting something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After a full childhood in a backpacking family, I concur that car camping is heaven indeed. Hope you're feeling better soon and have a great vacation.