Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hey, buddy, can you spare a teaspoon of tumeric?

I got up early to go to the grocery store. I like to go when there is nobody there but me and the nice people that stock the shelves and ask me if I'm finding everything OK. It is a beautiful, sunny day. There was frost on the ground this morning, and a light ground fog that the sun shone through, making everything sparkly and calm. I got out to the main road and almost to the store before even seeing another car. As I neared the intersection, I realized that the traffic signal was off. I went through the intersection and headed for the gas station next to the grocery store, but it was taped off with yellow warning tape. It was then that I realized that the entire city block had no power. I, however, had a desperate need for tumeric and ground cloves (you can't make chicken vindaloo without them), so I drove all the way down to the other grocery store. I prefer my grocery store. It is bigger, has a far better variety, I know the layout, and I get excellent discounts because I have one of those cards that tells them everything I buy and then informs the mother ship, or whatever it is that those cards do. Most importantly, they give me a hefty discount on gasoline. Anyway, at the other store, I managed to find everything that I needed, but I was shocked at the prices of spices. $11 for ground cloves? GAH! And the cardamom was just as bad. Even the tumeric was outrageous. Luckily, that store has a bulk spices section, so I bought teeny tiny little bags of spices that cost me only $.18 each.

Ironically, I decided to make Lebanese Chicken instead of Chicken Vindaloo because I don't have a food processor for the onions. I believe that I know what my next kitchen toy purchase will be...

No comments: