Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sold or taken over?

My company is in flux. Granted, most companies these days have their challenges, but many are not under threat as mine is. First of all, the stockholders are pissed off because of continuing losses. Granted, the losses get smaller and the revenues get bigger each year, but all they see is that they cannot make a million if they sell their shares. We've lost three executives in the last month, and there's another one on the way out shortly. There's also word that the board of directors is actively searching for a new CEO. This may not bode well for the company. On the other hand, it could be a great thing. We could get bought out, we could go private, we could be taken over, we could end up with a great CEO who creates a successful business plan and rescues all of us from our thousands of underwater shares. Whatever happens, I'm sure that I'll come out of it OK. It may be rough and scary, but I've always landed on my feet before, financially speaking. (Emotionally, not so much. T hat is why I gave up dating for Lent about 5 years ago and never got back into it. But I digress...)  I have a friend who knows a recruiter who is always looking for accounting people, so I may actually come out way ahead. I stand, currently, to get about five months severance if I lose my job, and if I'm employed elsewhere nearly immediately, all will be well. That five months could pay off my student loans! That would just about rock. Not that I want to lose my job, or even to get a new one, but that would leave me in a very good position. I just hope that in my next job, I still get a window and my iPod.

No comments: